Humble Beginnings

"By seeing the seed of failure in every success, we remain humble.  By seeing the seed of failure in every success we remain hopeful."

Unknown


It has been quite the week for me.  Full of revelations and truths.  Whether good or bad, painful of joyful.  Needless to say it's been emotional, yet exhausting, but also very humbling.

Humble is normally not a word I would ever use to describe myself, in fact I've always told people, " I am anything but humble."  So, when God approached me on this topic, I was a little apprehensive and not sure what to write.

Then I had an idea!  I started thinking...Yes, I know we covered this a couple blogs before, but it didn't stop me... The light bulb went on!


I wanted to know what other thought, even though I was still confused.  I mean how am I suppose to speak on a topic I know nothing about!  So, as I presented the topic on my Facebook page on what they thought being humble meant, I spoke to a close friend, a sister in Christ.

She mentioned that I was humble (with a couple examples) and that it is more than just a word and told me to look up the definition, which I did. However, I was still apprehensive because I didn't see humbleness an ounce in myself.  I mean yes, I try to be kind to others, but shouldn't we all treat others the way we want to be treated?

Anyways this is what I found:

humble:
adjective:
  1. not proud or arrogant; modest.
  2. having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience,etc.
  3. low in rank, importance, status,  quality, etc.
  4. courteously respectful
  5. low in height, level, etc.
verb
  1. to lower in condition, importance, or dignity; abase.
  2. to destroy the independence, power or will of.
  3. to make meek (to humble one's heart)
My friend was right, it's so much more than a word.  It's more than a way of living.  It's direction of how we should treat others.

The bible says: 

When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom.

Proverbs 11:2

We all can be prideful at times.  We can be stubborn, hateful and controlling.  We don't take the time to see what others need or want.  All we care about is ourselves and what we are going through.  We can be selfish without even realizing it!

I got so may great answers when I posted my question and I would like to share them with you, but because I didn't ask permission and for privacy reasons, I won't share their names:


" The ability of knowing your strength and not fearing weakness with in yourself."

"It means doing things for other people, to help them, without bragging about it all the time..."

"It is doing whatever you can for those in need without compensation or boasting."

"Not proud or conceited"

"Putting your pride aside and not being afraid to show your weaknesses.  Being humble or humbling yourself emotionally makes you stronger."

" I think to be humble, you have to have an appreciation for the small things as well."

"Submission, not being prideful, taking things for granted or acting like you deserve it."

"Selfishness, A willingness to put others before yourself.  To be modest in words and actions.  To have a attitude of 'It's not about me, or you, but about HIM'"

Many great answers and a lot to think about, thank you to everyone who participated, I truly appreciate it.

"So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; Just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you."

Colossians 3:12-13

We all have our moments where we slip, including me!  We all face trials, some we will fail, but we can't give up...Giving up is failing to be the person you want to become, but more importantly, it's giving up on who God wants you to become!  We all have destinies in life and we are here until  we finish the tasks God has given us here on earth.  However, in order to do them and complete them, one of the first lessons we must learn is to become humble.


"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  meekness, self-control; against such there is no law."

Galatians 5: 22-23

Video Listed:
Jeremy Camp:  The Way You Loved Me












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Broken Road

Unmasked By Truth

The Path Less Chosen