Blind Trust

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."

Corrie ten Boom


Looking back on my younger years, I am not sure that I feared much of anything...well, except heights.  I was, if you can believe it or not, more bold than I am now.  In fact, one of my closest friends recently told me that I scared her the most out of all her friends because if I had my mind set on doing something, I'd do it and then go back to her later and tell her what I did.  Of course, for the sole purpose of not being talked out of what I was about to do...yes I was rebellious as ever!  However, that is a story for another time. ;)

Many people saw me different than what I saw within myself.  When they looked at me they saw this bold, outspoken, strong-willed person with a huge heart, but on the inside I carried many scars. I loved many, but was hurt deeply by the ones I held closest to my heart, repeatedly.  (If any of you have read The Loneliest Heart, then you have read about some of the abuse I have endured there.) Because of this trusting people became extremely hard and the fear of getting hurt by anyone else was unbearable.  I kept my circle of friends few, and still do, even to this very day.

I was 14 when I was forced to go to church and I hated it.  Then about a year later the Lord started shaping and molding my heart.  Eventually, I accepted the Lord.  A couple more years later someone pointed out a verse to me and it is one of the first verses I memorized. It was planted on my heart and has stayed with me this whole time.  It is from the book of  Proverbs and is probably one of my favorite verses.

It says: 


"Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him, 
And He will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6




For many years I looked at this verse, even when I was out of the will of God, but only over the last year has it really spoken to me.  More so than the day it was first revealed to me.  

Then, it hit me, like a frying pan upside my thick skull!  Never once had I fully trusted God with anything in my life.  To be honest, I didn't know how because I shut the world out.  Even those who I once trusted with anything and everything in my life I had started to doubt.  The root cause was all the hurt held within.  The people that were suppose to be there, but never truly were.  The people that helped spread vicious rumors and lies.  The people that were suppose to be there to tell me everything was going to be okay.

I decided that even though I didn't know how to trust God, I was going to surely try.   Besides, my life around me was crumbling, what could it hurt!

Now I am asking you the same question, what could it hurt if you took that leap of faith and trusted God blindly?

In Jeremiah 29:11, it says:


"For I know the plans that I have for you, 'declares the Lord, ' plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope."


Nobody has hurt us more than we have hurt our Heavenly Father by turning our backs on Him time and time again.  During those times He never left you, nor did He forsake you (Deuteronomy 31:6).   He still loves you, NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! (Just wanted to get my point across ;P).  More importantly, He still believes in you.

Albert Einstein once said, "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters."

When it comes to the world, that is probably true.  I went through a lot of heartache and pain.  I eventually learned that blood isn't thicker than water.  I learned that most of the people who say they will be there when the dark storms hit, will run out of the first exit they see.  However, I also learned who my real friends and family were.  The most important thing I learned though, was who God truly was and realized He never once left my side.

Today, I encourage you to take that leap of faith.  Trust God, even if you don't know how.  He will never let you down.



"Have enough courage to love one more time and
 always one more time."

Maya Angelou

Ocean by Hillsong United:







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Broken Road

Unmasked By Truth

The Path Less Chosen