Judge, Jury and Executioner

"If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry.  Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own."

Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Before I get started on today's blog I just wanted to apologize for the delay.  It was something I had to pause on for a moment to see if this was okay to write about because you are either going to love me or hate me after this one.  It will probably be one of the boldest blogs I have written and will write.  However, there are no promises!  The other reason for the delay was my limited access to the computer.  Soooo...shall we begin.

For a better part of last year, and the beginning of this year, the Lord has really been opening my eyes to the ugliness portrayed by unbeliever's and believers alike.  It has, admittedly, made me pretty angry towards a lot of believers over the years. Some of the stuff I have seen were things that eventually pushed me away from the church for almost four years, after many years of being judged by the people that are suppose to show God's love.  Sadly, I too, was/am still guilty of this, but I was/am also still a victim.

I can't tell you how many times in my life I have been judged and condemned, but a lot of the memories are still alive and well.  I use to hear a lot of rumors, by people who should've known me the best and instead of defending myself, I allowed them to think what they wanted.  To me there is no point and there has never really been a point to clear my name because 9 times out of 10 that person has already made up their mind about you.  Even if you have never met.  Heck, I still have people judging me off the behavior I portrayed at 19 because of things they heard and still partial lies they hear.  However, a lot has changed and so have I.

The bottom line is, we live in a judgmental society.  The sad part is, people don't just judge you they condemn you and to condemn someone without getting to know that person is wrong!


"Teacher, they said, This woman has been caught in the very act of adultery. Now Moses in the Law commanded us that [women-offenders] shall be stoned to death.  But what do You say [to do with her- what is Your sentence]?  This they said to try(test) Him, hoping they might find  a charge on which to accuse Him.  But Jesus  stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger.  However, when they persisted with their question, He raised Himself up and  said, Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.  Then He bent down and went on writing on the ground with His finger."

 John 8: 4-8


The saddest part is that believers, in my experience, are the worst at judging and condemning.  We figure we found Jesus and we know God's Word, but we forget about the compassion and forgiveness that was shown to us.  We forget that we were once apart of the world.

Todd White says it best, "God did not call us to MEMORIZE scripture. He called us to BECOME it."

We are not free from sin, we battle it daily, so who are we to throw the first stone?  Who are to judge someone else's life?  Who are we to condemn?

In Matthew 7:1-2 it says:

"DO NOT judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves.  For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with measure you [use to] deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you."

If we continue to judge and condemn others, how are we going to look to others?  We should be shining God's light and walking in His Grace!  If people look at us and don't desire what we have, then what is the point of God using us! 

We shouldn't be calling the woman who had an abortion a murderer!  We shouldn't be telling homosexual's God hates them and they are going to Hell!  Our sin is no greater than the one they commit.

Instead of judging the girl who had the abortion, have you ever considered asking her what led her to her choice?  How about the homosexual?  Instead of showing him/her hate, did it ever cross your mind to just show love and except them for who they are?  Isn't that what God did for us?  

 In I Corinthians 16:14 it says, "Show love in everything we do."


It says in 1 John 4:20, "If someone says, I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. "


Who are we to be someone's judge, jury and executioner?!?!?   We were not placed on this earth to cram our beliefs down peoples throats. We can't change who people are, but we can definitely love who they are!  I am not saying don't tell them about the Lord and all He has done for you, we can definitely tell them what we believe and never faulter in that! However, we can do it without judging and condemning them!

Stop trying to change people or only hanging with people who believe only what you believe. Jesus surely didn't!  Instead, be the light God has called you to be!  I love you all, but more importantly, God loves you!



"How would your life be different if...You stopped making negative judgmental
 assumptions about people you encounter?  Let today be the day...You look for the 
good in everyone you meet and respect their journey."

Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Broken Road

Unmasked By Truth

The Path Less Chosen